Destiny Middle School
Preparing all students for college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Principal
Welcome to Destiny Charter Middle School in Northeast Tacoma!
We are a free, public, charter middle school that is open to all students and dedicated to serving our local community. We are pleased to welcome our first 8th grade class, finally rounding out our full 3-grade program and making us a complete middle school. Our mission is to prepare every student for college, leadership and life. Green Dot has a proven track record of aiding historically under-served students, including students from low-income backgrounds and students of color. We are committed to the following:
- A public middle school that’s free and open to all students
- Personalized learning for all students
- A teacher mentor for every child
- A college-going culture
- Technology to enhance learning
- Family partnerships and programming
- Free after-school enrichment program
- Free transportation for students living in the immediate area
I was raised in Southeast Alaska and began my career in public education in 1998 in Skagway, Alaska (the Gateway to the Yukon). Over the past 18 years, I’ve had the pleasure of being a classroom teacher, a grant coordinator, and assistant principal, and a principal. Most recently, I've had the privilege to serve in West Seattle at Chief Sealth International High School and in the Skagit Valley at La Conner Middle and High School.
Destiny still has space available in all three grades for your student! Please contact me at (253) 686-7571 or by email to learn more about Green Dot's mission to ensure that all of our students are prepared for college, leadership and life.
Your Partner in Education,
Cheryl M. Sullivan, Principal
Latest Updates from Destiny
- Tacoma Weekly — My son is happy and set to succeed in school
- How Destiny Middle School is Supporting Students Beyond Its Own DoorsLike charter schools, magnet schools and magnet programs are publicly funded alternatives to a traditional comprehensive school, whose goal is to improve student engagement and achievement. While admissions criteria for magnet programs vary by school, acceptance and enrollment in these selective schools can often catalyze students’ passions and help them lead a more focused journey through college, leadership and life. At ... read more
- Playing Kickball Using Sabermetrics and More Computational Thinking FunBy Eli SheldonComputational Thinking Specialist Every teacher I’ve worked with talks about the sanctity of the “lightbulb moment”--when a concept really clicks for a student and they can engage learning with confidence. One of the many reasons I’ve ... read more
- Meet A Green Dot Educator: Kara Hayes
- More than Textbooks: Preparing Students to Lead in a Complex WorldIn our ever-changing and interconnected world, rife with injustice and disparate opportunities across lines of race, class, and gender, students must learn the skills to process and respond effectively. Social studies must be, therefore, an area where students can engage with current and historical events in a critical, just, and open-minded manner. At Green Dot Public Schools, ... read more