Video: Watch the First Week of School at Destiny
TRANSPORTATION UPDATE: Drop-off and Pick-up locations and process
January 26, 2017
Dear Destiny Charter Middle School Families:
In response to community input, we have developed a plan which we believe will enhance arrival and dismissal procedures and improve safety for students and families. The plan will reduce traffic congestion on M Street by moving AM bus drop-off to the back parking lot and reserving M street for families dropping students off in cars.
AM/PM Drive Line for students arriving and being picked up in cars:
- Cars arriving northbound on M street should pull up along the east-side of the street (closest to the school) and drop off students in the yellow drop-off zone. To exit, cars should proceed northbound on M street towards E 28th Street or turn left into the alley alongside Rogers Park toward L street.
- Cars arriving southbound on M street should drop students off at the side of the road just before 34th Street and wait until the student can safely cross the M street at the crosswalk before proceeding.
- U-turns are not permitted on M street. Cars needing to drive in the opposite direction should access the alley alongside Rogers Park toward L street and turn left or right on L street. Traffic enforcement will begin ticketing for illegal U-turns.
The following rules apply to morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up:
- Safety First
- Drive at a safe rate of speed along M street during arrival and dismissal times.
- No blocking intersections or double parking. Only drop students off in front of the building or in front of the cross walk.
- Prepare your student for drop-off before you arrive in the morning.
- Coats should be on or in hand, backpacks and other items, on laps or easy-to-reach
- Do not leave your car unattended any time along M street.
- If you need to park, please park in the back parking lot.
- Students should ONLY exit on the passenger side of car.
- Do not allow your student to exit your car on the driver side at any time.
- Keep driveline moving.
- Do not hold up other cars waiting to drop off their students. After your student has exited the vehicle, safely depart from the driveline.
As a reminder, school building hours are 7:40 AM Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and 9:10 AM on Tuesday and Thursday. With winter temperatures often near the freezing mark in the morning, please do not drop students off prior to 7:30 AM on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 9:00 AM on Tuesday and Thursday. Students do not have access to the building prior to those times.
Questions, concerns, or comments? Please contact Xaila Lewis at 253-722-5883 to address any other questions or concerns that you may have.
News and Announcements
Dear Destiny Charter Middle School Families: We hope this letter finds you well. In the interest of ensuring we provide quality transportation services, we would like to invite you to submit any feedback you may have using the Transportation Quality Assurance Form here. All feedback will be shared with Harlow’s, our transportation vendor. We would…
Join us for Prospective Family School Tours! Learn about life at Destiny Middle School and Green Dot on campus. Available upon request. Call 253-719-3513 to schedule a tour.
Read the latest news, check out the lunch menu, and learn about the bus routes in Destiny’s Middle School’s newsletter here.