Resources for Families

Policies and Forms
Promotion Requirements

All RVLA high school students are required to participate in educational and academic classes offered in the areas of English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Science, as well as electives. Students must fulfill the Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Instruction’s 24-credit sequence, successful completion of the SAT or ACT, and completion of Senior Seminar, in order to graduate.

The Green Dot promotion policy ensures that each child is prepared to progress successfully through grade levels in order to prepare for success in, college, leadership and life.

Uniform Guidelines
Bus Routes
School Lunch Program
Parent Newsletters

Student Support Services

Special Education

What is it?

  • Special education is the term for the federal law titled the Individuals with Disabilities Educational Act (IDEA). The law provides students with disabilities instructional services and other supports needed to ensure they are able to receive a free and appropriate public education (FAPE).

Who is it for?

  • For students who have a disability that causes an adverse educational impact which requires specially designed instruction to remediate. Disabilities and eligibility requirements are defined in the Washington State Administrative Codes (WACs). All students must be evaluated and found eligible for and in need of special education services before they can receive support through this program.

Who do I contact for more information?

  • Special education teachers and speech language pathologists are the student's case managers. Contact your building principal, school psychologist, SLP, or special education teacher for more information about this program. You may also discuss student concerns with your school child study team.


  • Please contact the Student Support Department at 253.363.0248 if you would like to refer a student for an evaluation.


English Learners
  • The Transitional Bilingual Instructional Program (TBIP) provides English language instruction for eligible students. Eligible students have a primary language other than English and have been determined eligible based on the Washington Language Proficiency Test, Second Edition and the computer based English Language Proficiency Assessment 21 (ELPA21). TBIP staff members provide instruction in reading, writing, speaking, and listening to eligible students.
  • El Programa de Instrucción Bilingüe de Transición (TBIP) ofrece cursos de idioma Inglés para los estudiantes elegibles. Los estudiantes elegibles tienen un idioma primario que no sea Inglés y se han determinado sobre la base del derecho de Washington lingüística de ensayo, Segunda edición. TBIP funcionarios proveer instrucción en lectura, escritura, hablar, y escuchar a los estudiantes elegibles.



Americans with Disabilities Act (Section 504)

What is it?

  • Section 504 is a federal civil rights law that is designed to eliminate discrimination against students with disabilities in programs and activities that receive federal funds. Under Section 504, school districts are required to provide the accommodations that eligible students need in order to access district services.

Who is it for?

  • Students who have, have a record of having, or a regarded as having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life function that impacts the student's ability to access district services.

Who do I contact for more information?

  • School counselors are Section 504 student case managers. Contact your building principal or school counselors for more information about Section 504 or to discuss a potential Section 504 referral.


Homeless Support (McKinney-Vento)

What is it?

  • The McKinney-Vento Homeless Act provides services to students who are experiencing homelessness. The purpose of McKinney-Vento is to provide homeless students school stability, school access, and support for academic success.

Who is it for?

  • Students eligible for McKinney-Vento services lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This includes students who are: sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason students who are living in hotels, motels, trailer parks or campgrounds due to lack of adequate alternative accommodations living in emergency or transitional shelters abandoned in hospitals living in a public or private place not designed for humans to live living in cars, parks, abandoned buildings, bus or train stations, etc. migratory children living in above circumstances

Who do I contact for more information?

  • Contact your building principal, school counselor, or the district homeless liaison at 253.363.0248 if you have or are a student who is currently homeless.



For more information about student support services available for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy students, please contact:

Liz Tyning
School Counselor, Rainier Valley Leadership Academy

3900 S Holly Park Drive
Seattle, WA 98118


Follow us:

Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School

6020 Rainier Ave S,

Seattle, WA 98118

Phone: (206) 773-3234