Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is seeking a talented, entrepreneurial educational leader with a desire to foster high levels of academic achievement and wellbeing with middle and high school students as the assistant principal of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (RVLA) in Seattle, WA. In 2019-20, RVLA will serve students in grades 6-10 and will continue to grow until the school is fully built out to serve grades 6-12. Our Assistant Principal will aid in leading a growing high school and will be held accountable for delivering student results in line with agreed upon goals. Our ideal candidate is hard-working, equit-oriented, mission-aligned, and possesses a strong desire to foster high levels of academic achievement with academically underserved students and is excited to be a part of a founding leadership team. To learn more about what it’s like to be an administrator at RVLA, please visit wa.greendot.org/RVLA.
Rainier Valley Leadership Academy opened in Fall 2017 with a founding class of 6th graders. In the Fall of 2018, it launched its high school program with a founding class of 9th graders. RVLA’s mission is driven by an unwavering belief in the potential of ALL students, eliminating barriers to learning and continuously striving for student success. We strive to build strong partnerships with families and community partners to foster a learning environment of belonging and collaborative educational experiences. We believe every student in every community deserves to go to a great school.
ABOUT GREEN DOT and RVLA:
Green Dot Public Schools Washington (wa.greendot.org) is dedicated to transforming educational opportunities for students across Washington State as part of a larger solution for educational equity and access for all students. Green Dot Washington is part of the larger Green Dot Public School network (www.greendot.org) which is the leading charter school operator in Los Angeles, one of the largest in the nation, and an important catalyst for education reform.
Over the 2019-20 school year, Green Dot Washington will be transitioning its oversight and on-the-ground operations to support RVLA as a community-centered, standalone school. As such, it is looking for an assistant principal who is inspired by supporting a locally-centered revisioning process and leading the school through this transition. This role will work closely with the Principal and Head of School to set RVLA’s long-term vision and organize resources around achieving that vision. The Assistant Principal reports to the Principal and works collaboratively with administrative team to ensure school academic and organizational success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a founding administrator and integral part of the instructional leadership of RVLA High School
- Direct and supervise the curriculum and guidance program of the school.
- Responsible for student discipline and attendance.
- Evaluate and supervise school curriculum and instruction program with all departments.
- Coordinate and supervise safety plan (crisis team, building inspection, building keys and inventory, compliance laws).
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of classified and certificated personnel.
- Oversee scheduling of field trips.
- Assist in developing and maintaining the school budget.
- Assist with the development of a master class schedule.
- Available for contact with parents, students and staff to discuss student progress and problems after class, at night or on weekends (via cell phone or in person).
- Maintain work hours extending beyond school hours for other professional duties or functions such as staff meetings, supervision of student events, etc.
- Maintain professional standards and a school environment that is productive, safe and focused.
- Participate in Green Dot and individual professional development.
- Participate in other events aimed at promoting or developing Green Dot and its schools (ie student recruitment).
- Oversee community engagement and parent participation.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience, at the middle or high school level, with a history of success improving student achievement (required)
- A valid Washington State Administrative Credential or comparable out of state credential which is transferable to WA (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to coach teachers
- Prior experience as an Assistant Principal or in a school leadership position (preferred)
- Knowledge of bilingual education (strongly preferred).
- Possesses a growth mindset and love of learning
- Experience with leadership roles (mentor teacher, department chair, assistant principal, etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Proven management and team building skills
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience creating and implementing policies and systems
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- A passion for improving urban middle and high schools and driving education reform
- Ability to establish/foster a positive and safe school culture
- Experience in planning and implementing quality professional development
- Experience in leading/managing a team
- Experience in strategically engaging stakeholders
- Experience in conflict resolution
- Experience in making data driven decisions
- Experience and demonstrated ability managing multiple teams and resources
Green Dot Public Schools Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced,
productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience and based on school size. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of all its students.
Please submit an application to email@example.com.
Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted and we hire on a rolling basis.