We are seeking a mission aligned middle school Physical Education teacher to join the team at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy. Our ideal candidate is hard-working, entrepreneurial, and possesses a strong desire to foster high levels of academic achievement with academically underserved students. We are looking for teachers who are passionate about middle school and excited to become a founding member of a growing school community.
Green Dot teachers are committed to continuing their own learning and refining their practice to stay current in the field, ensuring a quality education for all. RVLA offers weekly professional development, specialized cross-network professional development days, regular observations, coaching and feedback, and summer training for teachers. We believe strongly in providing training and support to our staff in order to enable strong teaching and learning in every classroom.
Leadership opportunities are also available at RVLA. These roles include grade level lead, course lead, Instructional Leadership Team member, and various administrative positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively instruct middle school students in Physical Education as prescribed by Green Dot's academic content standards
- Utilize direct instruction, demonstration, audio-visual aids and other materials to supplement presentations with the overall goal of engaging student learning
- Teach an advisory section to a small group of students focused on social/emotional skill-building, college, leadership, and life
- Maintain effective supervision and discipline in the classroom
- Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction
- Develop and submit weekly lesson plans, unit plans, and assessments containing standards, objectives, essential questions, and assessments
- Assign, review, and provide feedback on student homework
- Consistently administer tests to evaluate student progress, record results, and issue meaningful reports to inform parents of progress
- Attend faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required
- Work as part of interdisciplinary team and within content areas planning and aligning curricula to ensure that instruction follows curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school
- Create and implement student intervention plans when necessary
- Maintain the school's student management policies and procedures (i.e., attendance records, dress code, etc.) and report to the school administrators when necessary
- Work with other teachers and administrators to address and resolve student issues
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all students
- Lead and participate in student activities such as: sponsoring student activities or organizations, coaching a sports team, working with parents and the community as part of a committee or group, provide morning or after school supervision, and chaperoning student events.
- Abide by all state and federal mandates in reporting sexual or physical abuse and neglect.
- Special projects and duties outside of primary teaching responsibility as assigned.
- Participate in other events aimed at promoting or developing Green Dot Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle School (i.e., student recruitment)
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Valid Washington State Teaching Credential with a Physical Education endorsement. Visit OSPI’s certification website to learn more about becoming a licensed teacher in Washington State
- Experience teaching Physical Education at the middle school level
- Experience designing curricula and assessments (highly preferred)
- Can articulate a clear, compelling vision for strong PE instruction
- Excellent collaborative and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Growth mindset and love of learning
- A strong ethical base and self-awareness
- Relentless commitment to and high standards for high quality execution
- Passionate with a strong sense of personal responsibility towards achieving ambitious goals
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow
- Humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to Green Dot’s mission and the Southeast Seattle community
- Commitment to building programs from beginning to end
- Ability to multi-task and function in a high-energy environment
Green Dot Public Schools Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
Compensation for this role is competitive and based on education and experience. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of students in Seattle, Tacoma, and Kent.