OPPORTUNITY: We are seeking a mission aligned School Counselor to join the growing team at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy. Our ideal candidate is hard-working, entrepreneurial, and possesses a strong desire to foster high levels of academic achievement and socioemo onal well-being with middle and high school scholars. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about scholars and excited to join a community-centered school driven to dismantle systemic oppression through the unit of the school .
RVLA employees are commi ed to con nuing their own learning and refining their prac ce to stay current in the field, ensuring a quality educa on for all. RVLA offers weekly professional development, specialized cross-network professional development days in collabora on with others in the network, regular observa ons, coaching and feedback, and summer training for all staff. We believe strongly in providing training and support to all staff in order to enable strong teaching and learning in every classroom. Leadership opportuni es are also available at RVLA.
To learn more about what it’s like to work at RVLA, please visit: wa.greendot.org/rvla.
ABOUT RAINIER VALLEY LEADERSHIP ACADEMY: Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is located in Sea le’s thriving Southeast Sea le neighborhood. RVLA’s mission is driven by an unwavering belief in the poten al of ALL scholars, elimina ng barriers to learning and con nuously striving for scholar success. We believe every scholar in every community deserves to go to a great school. With this belief in mind, RVLA opened its doors to a founding class of 6th grade scholars in August, 2017. In the Fall of 2018, it launched its high school with a founding class of 9th graders. We strive to build strong partnerships with scholars, families and community partners to foster a learning environment of belonging and community-centered leadership.
RVLA was originally launched as a Green Dot Washington school. Over the 2019-20 school year, RVLA is transi oning to become a community-centered, standalone school. As such, it is looking for team members who are inspired to lead this development of a locally-centered revisioning process that priori zes community agency and our scholars’ voices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a college going culture through various ac vi es on and off campus
- Conduct conflict media on program and promote safety for all students
- Coordinate and implement dissemina on of informa on to students, parents, and community members pertaining to the college knowledge and high school/career readiness
- Assist in the crea on and implementa on of social and emo onal curriculum
- Counsel individuals and small groups of students toward social and emo onal and academic growth
- Provide direct support service to individual students, small groups, and classrooms
- Provide counseling to students to promote ready to learn skills
- Complete assessments, referrals, and counseling with students and families
- Develop and maintain family outreach programs and community partnerships
- Provide effec ve counseling strategies to students to replace nega ve behavior with appropriate behavior
- Maintain student records to ensure students maintain appropriate academic placements
- Organize and implement student field trips to promote college and career awareness
- Support the school advisory program as a Level I and Level II interven on to address barriers to learning, cul va ng a college going culture and promo ng leadership and life skills
- Offer student and parent workshops to provide informa on and assistance in preparing for high school and beyond
- Par cipate in, coordinate and conduct ac vi es that contribute to the effec ve opera on of the overall counseling program at RVLA
- Provide individual and small group counseling to students with IEP counseling needs
- Work collabora vely with School’s SST, School Psychologist and other academic and mental health support personnel to ensure student success
- Conduct parent conferences to discuss student academic progress
- Maintain professional standards and school environment that is produc ve, safe, and focused
- Par cipate in RVLA MS and individual professional development
- Par cipate in other events aimed at promo ng or developing RVLA MS (i.e., student recruitment)
- Lead on High School and Beyond Plans
- Plan and facilitate college and career educa onal events for scholars and families
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Valid Washington State Educa onal Staff Associate (ESA), School Counselor creden al (required)
- A Master’s Degree in School counseling (strongly preferred)
- Experience with individual and group counseling
- A passion for improving urban middle schools and driving educa on reform
- Experience working in an urban school se ng (strongly preferred)
- Prior counseling experience (mental health), including DIS Counseling
- Proven management and team building skills
- Ability to understand student maturity levels and the process of goal selec on
- Ability to help students gain an awareness of interests and abili es and to help them make course choices that will lead to appropriate careers commensurate with interests and abili es
- Ability to understand test construc on and interpret educa onal test data
- Ability to mo vate students and provide academic incen ves for success
- Excellent collabora ve and organiza onal skills
- Excellent verbal and wri en communica on skills
- Growth mindset and love of learning
- A strong ethical base and self-awareness
- Relentless commitment to and high standards for high quality execu on
- Passionate with a strong sense of personal responsibility towards achieving ambi ous goals
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow
- Humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to Green Dot’s mission and the Southeast Sea le community
- Commitment to building programs from beginning to end
- Ability to mul -task and func on in a high-energy environment
Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, produc ve workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural iden ty. We do not base hiring or promo onal decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth poten al. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
COMPENSATION: Compensa on for this role is compe ve and based on educa on and experience. In addi on, we offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organiza on that is commi ed to the success of students in Sea le.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: If interested in this posi on, please email your resume and cover le er to firstname.lastname@example.org . Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted, and we interview and hire on a rolling basis. The start date for this posi on is early August, 2020.
RVLA does not discriminate in any programs or ac vi es on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, na onal origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orienta on, gender expression, gender iden ty, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimina on: Civil Rights, 504 and Title IX Coordinator: Andra Maughan, (206) 659-0956, email@example.com, 6020 Rainier Ave. South Sea le, WA 98118.