Excel Public Charter School
SERVING GRADES 6-8 BEGINNING FALL 2019
We are a public, tuition-free charter school that strives to provide all students an academically rigorous, STEAM-focused, educational program that will prepare them for success in college, leadership and life.
Message from the Principal
Greetings Excel Public Charter School Students and Families,
As you all begin to enjoy your summer, I want to take a minute to introduce myself to you and thank you for this great opportunity to be your principal! I am beyond honored and thrilled to have been chosen by you to lead our great school. I have worked as a teacher and school leader for the past 15 years and am excited to join this community as your proud principal. As the newest member of our team, I will spend time this summer with teachers, staff, and our leadership team to gain a deeper understanding of the mission and vision that drives our student programming. I want you to know that I am committed to working with you to create a safe, trusting, collaborative learning-focused community where students and families feel proud and excited to be!
A little about me--I taught special education for 6 years, serving students with social and emotional disabilities. I took a break to teach English in South Korea to fulfill a life goal of living abroad and experiencing a culture different from my own. After teaching, I accepted a position with Seattle Public Schools central office as a special education consulting teacher. In this role, I worked to support school teams, students, and families to ensure that we were delivering quality services to our students. After working in in the central office for 3 years, I missed being in a school and with students every day, so I enrolled in the Danforth Educational Leadership Program at the University of Washington. Following that, I was the assistant principal at Chief Sealth International High School for 3 years, then was the principal of Beacon Hill International School for a year. I am now saying goodbye to my current school, the Original Van Asselt, where I have served for the past two years. I am truly sad to say goodbye to my current students, families, and community; however, I am beyond excited and thrilled to join yours.
I am committed to building a strong partnership between families and school. I truly believe this is essential to a strong educational program and preparing students to be ready and have the necessary skills for the future of their choice.
I am committed to student success and am looking forward to a great year! Please keep an eye out for upcoming opportunities to meet. I am excited to get to know you!
Principal, Excel Public Charter School
Latest Updates from Excel
- What Mitochondria and the Seattle Seahawks Have in CommonCaresse Fernandez is in her sixth year teaching, the past three of which she’s served as a biology teacher at Excel Public Charter School. She’s spent enough time in the classroom to feel comfortable about her approach and the strength of her curriculum, and yet this year, she decided to upend all of her tried and true curricula to start fresh. “I took a different approach this year to relate to not only current events, but also to local stories in Washington,” said ... read more
- Strong Leaders Take the Helm at Green Dot Schools Across the CountryAs we begin a new school year, Green Dot Public Schools is proud to introduce a number of new school leaders. While not all are new faces at their schools, they are all new to the helm. These educators will drive the direction of our schools, embody our mission to serve all students, and inspire their teachers, families and communities to commit to excellence in public education. With the opening of two new schools--Ánimo Compton Charter School in Los Angeles and Rainier Valley Leadership Academy ... read more
- Check Out the Smiles of the Class of 2018Green Dot is proud to celebrate the Class of 2018! This year marked a number of milestones for our schools, and as we reflect on the school year, it’s clear how much there is to celebrate. At our founding school, Ánimo Leadership Charter High School, 100% of seniors graduated, and 99% of them graduated college-ready! In California, over ... read more
- Kent Reporter–Kent’s Excel Public Charter School recognizes first graduating classSeventy-two students were part of the first graduating class at Kent’s Excel Public Charter School. The eighth-grade graduates entered the school as sixth graders three years ago when the school opened on the East Hill at 19300 108th Ave. SE. The graduation was June 13 in the school’s gym. Excel, a Green Dot school, offers grades seventh through ninth this year with a total of 165 students. The school will offer grades seventh through 10th next fall. ... read more
- Edutopia–The Flexibility of Computational ThinkingThree middle school projects—in English, math, and history—use computational thinking skills to address social justice topics. Computational thinking (CT) is a set of skills students can leverage to tackle hard problems of all kinds using ideas from computer science. These skills include: Algorithmic thinking: using a well-defined series of steps to achieve a desired outcome Decomposition: approaching a complicated problem by focusing on one piece at a time Abstraction: representing a complicated system with a simple model ... read more