Now Enrolling grades 6-11 for the 2020/21 School Year!
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Southeast Seattle. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Head of School
We welcome you to Rainier Valley Leadership Academy's 2019-20 school year!
At Rainier Valley Leadership Academy, we believe that all students should have the choice to attend college. We support students’ academic, social, and emotional development in our college preparation program through a partnership with our families and dedicated staff. Our vision is ambitious and our work will be difficult at times, but with courage to persevere through challenges and a shared optimism in the potential of our students, we will reach our goals. Together, we will ensure our students are prepared for success in college, leadership, and life.
We are entering the 2019-20 school year with many changes and exciting opportunities. This will be a year of growth and development. We are entering the school year as one school, after merging the middle school and high school into one community. And, over the course of this next year, RVLA will transition to become more independent. Throughout this process, we will have many opportunities for our community to provide input. While change is hard, we are excited about the opportunity to continue to build on the foundation and core values that our founding leaders were building to engage our community further into building a school our students, families and staff feel proud to be a part of.
As we enter the new school year, we are excited to introduce new teachers and staff who will support your student’s development and growth.
Latest from RVLA
- Rigor and Joy are Alive at Rainier Valley Leadership AcademyMeet Walter Chen, Principal of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle School (RVLAMS). “I’d say what we really try to nail with Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is a college prep atmosphere with high rigor, and yet, joy,” said Chen.
- How a New Mural is Making Students Feel Seen at Rainier Valley Leadership AcademyRainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle School (RVLA MS) art teachers Margaret Ward and Gretchen Proulx saw the opportunity for messaging to students through art on the new walls of a permanent home for the school. “We knew we wanted to paint a mural in the new building,” said Ward. With the help of students’ creativity, they landed on a concept for the mural last spring. ... read more
- Celebrating a New Home for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle SchoolLast month, students at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (RVLA) got a new school home. While the building will be dedicated long-term to RVLA Middle School (RVLA MS), this year the founding class of RVLA High School will also share the campus. To celebrate the new building, RVLA students and staff, along with community partners, hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony and shared their thoughts ... read more
- Meet Some of the Founding Faces of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High SchoolLast year, Green Dot Public Schools opened the middle school grades for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy, and now we are excited to announce the opening of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School (RVLA HS) this fall! At the helm of RVLA HS will be Seattle native Arneidra Lloyd. “I’m honored and excited about creating a great high ... read more
- Playing Kickball Using Sabermetrics and More Computational Thinking FunEvery teacher I’ve worked with talks about the sanctity of the “lightbulb moment”--when a concept really clicks for a student and they can engage learning with confidence. One of the many reasons I’ve become passionate about teaching computational thinking (CT) is that well-planned and well-executed CT curricula produces those moments around rigorous concepts, generally disguised in fun. In doing so, CT helps students access ... read more
- How a New Mural is Making Students Feel Seen at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy