We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Southeast Seattle. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Principal
Dear Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Students and Families,
We welcome you to Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle School’s 2018-19 school year! After an amazing founding year together, we are excited to welcome back our returning students and families and to build new relationships with our new community members. Together, we will ensure our students are prepared for success in college, leadership, and life.
At Rainier Valley Leadership Academy, we believe that all students should have the choice to attend college. We support students’ academic, social, and emotional development in our college preparation program through a partnership with our families and dedicated staff. Our vision is ambitious and our work will be difficult at times, but with courage to persevere through challenges and a shared optimism in the potential of our students, we will reach our goals. Together, as a family, we will build an excellent school.
I am humbled and honored to serve as our school’s proud principal and thank you for your trust and faith in our potential. Please do not hesitate to reach out to any of our faculty, staff, or directly to me if you have any questions. Let’s have another great school year!
Walter Chen, Proud Principal
News & Announcements
Latest from RVLA Middle School
- How a New Mural is Making Students Feel Seen at Rainier Valley Leadership AcademyRainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle School (RVLA MS) art teachers Margaret Ward and Gretchen Proulx saw the opportunity for messaging to students through art on the new walls of a permanent home for the school. “We knew we wanted to paint a mural in the new building,” said Ward. With the help of students’ creativity, they landed on a concept for the mural last spring. ... read more
- Celebrating a New Home for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle SchoolLast month, students at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (RVLA) got a new school home. While the building will be dedicated long-term to RVLA Middle School (RVLA MS), this year the founding class of RVLA High School will also share the campus. To celebrate the new building, RVLA students and staff, along with community partners, hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony and shared their thoughts ... read more
- Meet Some of the Founding Faces of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High SchoolLast year, Green Dot Public Schools opened the middle school grades for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy, and now we are excited to announce the opening of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School (RVLA HS) this fall! At the helm of RVLA HS will be Seattle native Arneidra Lloyd. “I’m honored and excited about creating a great high school in Southeast Seattle,” said Lloyd. At ... read more
- Playing Kickball Using Sabermetrics and More Computational Thinking FunEvery teacher I’ve worked with talks about the sanctity of the “lightbulb moment”--when a concept really clicks for a student and they can engage learning with confidence. One of the many reasons I’ve become passionate about teaching computational thinking (CT) is that well-planned and well-executed CT curricula produces those moments around rigorous concepts, generally disguised in fun. In doing so, CT helps students access ... read more
- More than Textbooks: Preparing Students to Lead in a Complex WorldIn our ever-changing and interconnected world, rife with injustice and disparate opportunities across lines of race, class, and gender, students must learn the skills to process and respond effectively. Social studies must be, therefore, an area where students can engage with current and historical events in a critical, just, and open-minded manner. At Green Dot Public Schools, ... read more