We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Southeast Seattle. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
6020 Rainier Ave S,
Seattle, WA, 98818
Our high school campus will be located in a brand new building in the heart of Othello Station currently known as Othello Square. We will locate at the new middle school site for the 2018-19 and the 2019-2020 school year. We will relocate to our permanent facility in fall 2020.
We are proud to be the official school chosen by our community to anchor the historical Othello Square campus. Othello Square, in the heart of Othello Station, will be a culturally relevant and welcoming place where people in Southeast Seattle and beyond can access opportunities for higher education, high paying jobs, and support to start and keep a business. Our school will join dozens of other community-based organizations to create a culturally relevant, integrated, and welcoming place that supports communities at risk of displacement and engages and celebrates the diversity of the Othello Station and larger Rainier Valley community. You can learn more about our vision here>>.
Dear Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Future Students,
I am your proud principal, Arneidra Lloyd. I would like to welcome you to Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School, where the road to college starts HERE. Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School is rooted in a culture of resilience, where students, parents, faculty/staff and community members demonstrate intentional effort to surpass academic and character expectations.
I am committed to provide you with a school that delivers on the promise of eliminating historic opportunity gaps and gives all students an equitable opportunity to succeed in college, leadership and life. All staff and teachers are dedicated to changing the lives and trajectories of our students, removing barriers and creating personalized learning experiences.
At RVLA, students take rigorous preparatory courses that are aligned to national college standards as well as electives that get them ready for the real world. All students take Advanced Placement (AP) courses at RVLA. Our computational thinking program, for example, teaches students coding and app design. Our after school program includes courses in theater, music, and the culinary arts. Our staff are incredible and every student has an adult "advisor" or mentor from 9th through 12th grade who gets them prepared for college and life beyond.
At RVLA, we are building leaders. Our student leaders are active in setting school policies as well as out in the community. We are building RVLA together and we are learning what it takes to change the world.
Being a southeast Seattle native with a strong belief in education, and caring sincerely about social justice, equity and inclusion, I understand the importance of public education and community partnerships. I also understand this type of work cannot be done alone. Together we will be successful at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School.
We eagerly look forward to working with you and your family and becoming part of the village that ensures your future is bright and en route to your greatest dreams.
Founding High School Principal
News & Announcements
“In my role as CT specialist with Green Dot, my mission is to help teachers across all disciplines answer this very question. I work with teachers across math, science, English…
By Arneidra Austin-Lloyd Meet one of the founding teachers at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School in South Seattle: Sylvia Hadnot, multicultural educator extraordinaire. From jazz to ecological history to art leadership and more, Sylvia brings…
From Northwest Asian Weekly: Quality public school option for our communities is something to celebrate
By Walter Chen, Principal of RVLA Middle School And Arneidra Lloyd, Principal of RVLA High School Thanks to the community’s warm welcome and the hard work of so many, Rainier…
Rainier Valley Leadership Academy opened in 2016 with our first sixth grade class and now serves 6th, 7th, and 9th graders. Next year we will serve grades 6, 7, 8,…
More from Green Dot Public Schools
- Why We Celebrate Our Teachers Every dayMagical, awe-inspiring, caring, dedicated, and motivating-- these are just a few words that describe Green Dot teachers. Today, we thank Green Dot educators for their unwavering belief in the potential of all students. They are true believers in and on the frontlines of our mission to prepare all students for college, leadership, and life. We are proud ... read more
- Founding Freshman Finds New Vision for Her Future at RVLA HighThis piece is part of Faces of Growth, a series of profiles that underscore the importance of looking at student performance and school effectiveness through the lens of growth, and not just absolute achievement. This series provides an opportunity to celebrate our students’ hard work and our educators’ tireless dedication.... read more
- Seattle Times: For Teacher Diversity, Look to Alternative SchoolsThe Times’ excellent series on teacher diversity in Washington is a much-needed deep dive into a critical issue facing public education: As our student bodies diversify, how can we ensure that kids have teachers who look like them, and can relate to them on a personal level? As a former teacher, principal and leader of color at Green Dot Public Schools, I know ... read more
- Tech-Based Teaching — Computational Conversations with Eli SheldonPhoto courtesy of Tech-Based Teaching Today’s interview is with Eli Sheldon, founding ninth-grade computer science teacher at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School. He helps run the Green Dot Computational Thinking Center, a center in the Green Dot Public Schools school system that helps to ideate and implement computational thinking programs. ... What’s your personal definition of ... read more
- Meet Some of the Founding Faces of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High SchoolLast year, Green Dot Public Schools opened the middle school grades for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy, and now we are excited to announce the opening of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School (RVLA HS) this fall! At the helm of RVLA HS will be Seattle native Arneidra Lloyd. “I’m honored and excited about creating a great high school in Southeast Seattle,” said Lloyd. At ... read more
- Founding Freshman Finds New Vision for Her Future at RVLA High