Excel Public Charter School
We are a public, tuition-free charter school that strives to provide all students an academically rigorous, STEAM-focused, educational program that will prepare them for success in college, leadership and life.
Message from the Principal
Welcome to Excel Public Charter School in Kent, WA!
We are a free, charter public school that is open to all students and dedicated to serving our local community in the Kent area. This year, we are excited to welcome grades 7 and 8 as well our founding high school class of 9th grade students. Green Dot’s mission is to prepare every student for college, leadership and life. Green Dot has a proven track record of aiding historically under-served students, including students from low-income backgrounds and students of color. We are committed to the following:
- A public middle school and high school that’s free and open to all students
- Personalized learning for all students
- A teacher mentor for every child
- A college-going culture
- Technology to enhance learning
- Family partnerships and programming
- Free after-school enrichment program
This will be my second year at Excel and I am so excited to take things to the next level during the 2017-18 school year! I was raised just outside of Detroit, Michigan and I was the first person to graduate from college in my family. I began my career in public education as a high school math teacher in Round Rock, Texas where I taught Algebra I, Algebra II, and Math Models. I transitioned to school leadership so that I could coach and grow teachers in the areas of instruction and culture resulting in a greater impact on more students.
We still have spaces available for each grade. Please contact us at (253) 487-7530 or email@example.com to learn more about Green Dot's mission to ensure that all of our students graduate prepared for high school, college, leadership and life.
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Excel
- School Choice Isn’t Political – It’s PersonalI’ll admit it. I am a very protective – and sometimes over-protective – mama bear. And like all mama or papa bears, I constantly worry about my kids. But on school days, I worry a whole lot less knowing my daughter is attending a school she loves, a school that cares for her just as much as I do, a school where she excels. Any parent knows that finding the best school for your child isn’t a political decision; ... read more
- Excel Students Flex Computational Thinking Skills at Their Annual CT DayEach year, students and teachers at Excel Public Charter School celebrate and demonstrate mastery in their computational thinking (CT) skills at CT Day—a full day devoted to concepts such as algorithmic thinking, pattern recognition and experimentation. Students have spent the entire school year applying these computer science basics to breaking down complex scenarios in every field — from history to sports to entertainment. At this year’s CT Day, students rotated around to various stations that challenge and hone their CT skills. In the Puzzle Room, which was much like an escape room, students found clues, and worked together ... read more
- Parents at Excel Help Build the Family FeelOn a recent Wednesday morning, Excel Public School’s front office is bustling--several students pass through on their way back from an awards breakfast, a parent inquires about purchasing more uniforms, and another student needs to call home for a forgotten assignment. Quarterbacking all these requests is Office Coordinator Jessica Youmans. Youmans is also the parent of Excel students Nick and Ty. Excel has been the perfect fit for her sons, now in eighth and ninth grades, respectively. She enrolled them in Excel because ... read more
- Playing Kickball Using Sabermetrics and More Computational Thinking FunEvery teacher I’ve worked with talks about the sanctity of the “lightbulb moment”--when a concept really clicks for a student and they can engage learning with confidence. One of the many reasons I’ve become passionate about teaching computational thinking (CT) is that well-planned and well-executed CT curricula produces those moments around rigorous concepts, generally disguised in fun. In doing so, CT helps students access complex concepts through activities or principles they’re already familiar with. At Green Dot schools in Washington, these concepts are used to ... read more
- Green Dot Welcomes Excel Students and Staff to the FamilyIt's official! When Excel Public Charter School in Kent, Washington opens its doors in the August of 2017, it will do so as part of the Green Dot Public Schools family, making it our third school in the Washington region (along with Destiny Middle School in Tacoma and Rainier Valley Leadership Academy in Seattle). At the Helm: Kristina Howard ... read more