Excel Public Charter School
We are a public, tuition-free charter school that strives to provide all students an academically rigorous, STEAM-focused, educational program that will prepare them for success in college, leadership and life.
Message from the Principal
Greetings Excel Public Charter School Students and Families,
As you all begin to enjoy your summer, I want to take a minute to introduce myself to you and thank you for this great opportunity to be your principal! I am beyond honored and thrilled to have been chosen by you to lead our great school. I have worked as a teacher and school leader for the past 15 years and am excited to join this community as your proud principal. As the newest member of our team, I will spend time this summer with teachers, staff, and our leadership team to gain a deeper understanding of the mission and vision that drives our student programming. I want you to know that I am committed to working with you to create a safe, trusting, collaborative learning-focused community where students and families feel proud and excited to be!
A little about me--I taught special education for 6 years, serving students with social and emotional disabilities. I took a break to teach English in South Korea to fulfill a life goal of living abroad and experiencing a culture different from my own. After teaching, I accepted a position with Seattle Public Schools central office as a special education consulting teacher. In this role, I worked to support school teams, students, and families to ensure that we were delivering quality services to our students. After working in in the central office for 3 years, I missed being in a school and with students every day, so I enrolled in the Danforth Educational Leadership Program at the University of Washington. Following that, I was the assistant principal at Chief Sealth International High School for 3 years, then was the principal of Beacon Hill International School for a year. I am now saying goodbye to my current school, the Original Van Asselt, where I have served for the past two years. I am truly sad to say goodbye to my current students, families, and community; however, I am beyond excited and thrilled to join yours.
I am committed to building a strong partnership between families and school. I truly believe this is essential to a strong educational program and preparing students to be ready and have the necessary skills for the future of their choice.
I am committed to student success and am looking forward to a great year! Please keep an eye out for upcoming opportunities to meet. I am excited to get to know you!
Principal, Excel Public Charter School
Latest Updates from Excel
- Check Out the Smiles of the Class of 2018Green Dot is proud to celebrate the Class of 2018! This year marked a number of milestones for our schools, and as we reflect on the school year, it’s clear how much there is to celebrate. At our founding school, Ánimo Leadership Charter High School, 100% of seniors graduated, and 99% of them graduated college-ready! In California, over ... read more
- Kent Reporter–Kent’s Excel Public Charter School recognizes first graduating classSeventy-two students were part of the first graduating class at Kent’s Excel Public Charter School. The eighth-grade graduates entered the school as sixth graders three years ago when the school opened on the East Hill at 19300 108th Ave. SE. The graduation was June 13 in the school’s gym. Excel, a Green Dot school, offers grades seventh through ninth this year with a total of 165 students. The school will offer grades seventh through 10th next fall. ... read more
- Edutopia–The Flexibility of Computational ThinkingThree middle school projects—in English, math, and history—use computational thinking skills to address social justice topics. Computational thinking (CT) is a set of skills students can leverage to tackle hard problems of all kinds using ideas from computer science. These skills include: Algorithmic thinking: using a well-defined series of steps to achieve a desired outcome Decomposition: approaching a complicated problem by focusing on one piece at a time Abstraction: representing a complicated system with a simple model ... read more
- Kent Reporter — Local students accepted into WAS Summer Residency at The Museum of Flight... New piano for Excel Excel Public Charter (Green Dot) School, was recently recognized by the Seattle Symphony for its excellence in arts when its music program was awarded with a brand new Yamaha piano. Kyle Berry, teacher and music director at Excel, led the effort to win the symphony’s recognition by hosting students at the Ten Grands concert at Benaroya Hall on May 13. For the music program’s superior performance and its high attendance of students, Excel was selected among five local ... read more
- Kent Reporter–‘School Choice Isn’t Political – It’s Personal’I’ll admit it. I am a very protective – and sometimes over-protective – mama bear. And like all mama or papa bears, I constantly worry about my kids. But on school days, I worry a whole lot less knowing my daughter is attending a school she loves, a school that cares for her just as much as I do, a school where she excels. Any parent knows that finding the best school for your child isn’t a political decision; ... read more