We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Southeast Seattle. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Principal
Welcome to Rainier Valley Leadership Academy in Southeast Seattle!
We are a free, charter public school that is open to all students and dedicated to serving our local community in the Rainier Valley. We are thrilled to welcome our founding class of 6th grade students beginning in August 2017. Our mission is to prepare every student for high school, college, leadership and life. Green Dot has a proven track record of aiding historically under-served students, including students from low-income backgrounds and students of color. We are committed to the following:
- A public middle school that’s free and open to all students
- Personalized learning for all students
- A teacher mentor for every child
- A college-going culture
- Technology to enhance learning
- Family partnerships and programming
- Free after-school enrichment program
I was raised in the Pacific Northwest and began my career in public education in 2003 in South Central Los Angeles as a middle school math teacher. Most recently, I've had the privilege to live and serve in the Rainier Valley as the Proud Principal of Graham Hill Elementary and Assistant Principal of Aki Kurose Middle School.
We still have spaces available for our founding 6th grade class. Please contact us at (206) 659-0956 or InfoSeattle@greendot.org to learn more about Green Dot's mission to ensure that all of our students graduate prepared for high school, college, leadership and life.
News & Announcements
Latest from RVLA Middle School
- Meet Some of the Founding Faces of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High SchoolLast year, Green Dot Public Schools opened the middle school grades for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy, and now we are excited to announce the opening of Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School (RVLA HS) this fall! At the helm of RVLA HS will be Seattle native Arneidra Lloyd. “I’m honored and excited about creating a great high school in Southeast Seattle,” said Lloyd. At ... read more
- Playing Kickball Using Sabermetrics and More Computational Thinking FunEvery teacher I’ve worked with talks about the sanctity of the “lightbulb moment”--when a concept really clicks for a student and they can engage learning with confidence. One of the many reasons I’ve become passionate about teaching computational thinking (CT) is that well-planned and well-executed CT curricula produces those moments around rigorous concepts, generally disguised in fun. In doing so, CT helps students access ... read more
- More than Textbooks: Preparing Students to Lead in a Complex WorldIn our ever-changing and interconnected world, rife with injustice and disparate opportunities across lines of race, class, and gender, students must learn the skills to process and respond effectively. Social studies must be, therefore, an area where students can engage with current and historical events in a critical, just, and open-minded manner. At Green Dot Public Schools, ... read more
- New Year, New Faces: Meet Three New School Leaders Excited For Their New RolesAs the school year approaches, Green Dot Public Schools proudly welcomes new school leaders to our growing community as they prepare to roll up their sleeves and get to work in schools across California, Washington, and Tennessee. These leaders will drive the direction of our schools, embody our mission to serve all students, and inspire their teachers, families and communities to commit to excellence ... read more
- Rainier Valley Leadership Academy to Open in SeattleGreen Dot Public Schools is excited to announce a high quality middle school option for students throughout Seattle: Rainier Valley Leadership Academy is set to open its doors for the first time in August 2017. The name for the new charter public middle school was chosen by nearly 50 southeast Seattle area families, students and stakeholders to represent the values of the community and ... read more